In the light of the threats posed to Christianity by militant Islam, intolerant secularism, and widespread misinformation (The Da Vinci Code, the Jesus Seminar, etc.), the necessity of informed and articulate defense of the Christian faith today can hardly be contested. Reasons for Our Hope offers a sophisticated yet accessible guide to “destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and . . . taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5). The book’s 31 chapters are divided into four sections:
• Apologetics Methodologies and Systems – with chapters on worldviews, the tension between faith and reason, etc.
• Apologetics in Scripture and in History – a look at apologetics in the Old and New Testaments, early church, middle ages, the Reformation, Enlightenment, and today.
• Apologetic Problems – issues such as the value of philosophy, dealing with skepticism, the problem of evil, miracles, the Resurrection, etc.
• How to Use Apologetics in Engaging the World – how to engage the Cultist, Secularist, Postmodernist, Muslim, and Eastern Mystic.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part One: Apologetic Methodologies and Systems
Introduction to Apologetics
2. Approaches to Apologetics
3. Categories of Apologetics
4. How Do We Know the Truth?
5. The Tension Between Faith and Reason
6. Natural Theology and Its Contribution to Apologetics
7. Speaking About God and Ultimate Reality
Part Two: Apologetics in Scripture and in History
8. Apologetics in the Old Testament
9. Apologetics in the New Testament
10. Early Apologists of the Second and Third Centuries
11. Later Patristic and Medieval Apologetics (Apologetics in the Middle Ages)
12. Apologetics of the Reformers
13. Enlightenment and Post-Enlightenment Apologetics
14. Contemporary Apologetics
Part Three: Apologetic Problems
15. Use of Philosophy in Apologetics
16. Skepticism and Its Cure
17. Postmodernism and Defense of Christianity
18. The Knowledge of God
19. The Problem of Evil
20. Can Miracles Occur and Do They?
21. How Reliable Are the Sources for Christian Truth?
22. Answering the Challenges of the Jesus Quests
23. The Meaning and Importance of the Physical Resurrection of Christ
24. Christianity in Competition with Other Religions
25. The Compatibility of Biblical Truth and ModernScience
Part Four: How to Use Apologetics in Engaging the World
26. Engaging the Cultist
27. Engaging the Secularist
28. Engaging the Postmodernist
29. Engaging the Muslim
30. Engaging New Age Mysticism